Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sarlat-la-Canéda, France #11 ~ Cathedrale St-Sacerdos

4"x6" Original Watercolor
$200. Contact the studio - SOLD

I thought I would get tired of all the Cathedrals
we had lined up to see but each one felt different.
Some I just went in and quietly sat and could
recenter myself. The stained glass was just
amazing. The light would shine through into
the stark stone interiors...

Our hot water heater has been replaced, I had
a morning and evening class that went very well.
I started another larger landscape which I have
been enjoying. Things are looking up!!

Demonstration:
Step 10 It is time to add some drama to this
painting. I want to make the interior room dark
so the window pops. This is not the time to be
timid. I am going to boldly darken all around the
sides and the floor. Using a larger brush, I loaded
it with a mixture of black india ink and prussian blue.
Mixing 50/50. Starting at the top I washed my way
down both sides and across the bottom, smoothly and
try not to scrub the paper. Drying immediately.
I repeated it until it reached the shading I wanted.

You can still see the legs and part of the floor.
You may think it was silly to paint the yellow and
the floor only to cover it over but it makes a big
difference in tone. In watercolor the base colors
always show through.

No comments: