Monday, May 11, 2020

Pottery and my chair...

This miniature original watercolor study from 2016 is looking for a new home!

2016 Still Life #4       Framed 9x9          $135.

The price includes acid free framing, a coupon for 2 free shrink wrapped mini prints ($25 value) and I will throw in FREE SHIPPING!
Paintings are available to the first person to email or call 717.627.3383
All are framed in black wood frames however you may have them in walnut frames.
________________________________________________
MUSINGS:  Other than a 53 mile bike ride on Sunday (I know!! pretty lucky to get out that long, totally by myself.)  I have been working on my chair painting non stop.  While I have been painting the same amount of hours a day as I always have, I am feeling this odd freedom in my painting, not in the actual painting but in my mind (maybe heart or soul??)  We talked about it and I think because I have nothing I am painting for... like the pressure of keeping my show stand filled with fresh work, or not having shows every weekend to pack and unpack... my mind is simply free to think about my painting.  I can spend whatever amount of time per painting as I want.  Years of discipline in painting every day, all day is simply what I do so there is no desire to slack off.  I am feeling free to do as I please!   Abbey sent me a wonderful photo from Maine that I want to paint, Linda actually suggested I do it 25x29"  and my eyes lit up, really that big??   Now normally the conversation needs to go to the hours it will take and then selling it and the price such a large painting should be ($4000-$6000.)  But she said so what, just paint it and have fun.  So....  it is going on a board which I will share later. First I have a chair to finish and a commission to start.

THE CHAIR:    Remember to scroll back to see where I left off.

I am slowly adding the shadows on the chair seat.



Going darker on the seat, see how I am saving that shadow?  I am also now working on the slate floor.  The above painting shows the warm under painting, now I am smoothing it out with cooler colors saving that important shadow.  Do you know warm and cool colors?   Warm would be yellows and cool would be blues and grays.  In watercolor the warm color must go down first with the cooler over top, remember I am staining the paper so every color shines through.



Finishing the wall.  Finishing the floor.



Now I am turning my attention to the view outside the window.  I am taking some artistic license here, since I did not like the sidewalk scene that was originally in my photo.  I am going with a bit of landscape.  I drew it in.  Added the basic grass and trees in the horizon..   More tomorrow.


KINDNESS:   Meanwhile I received a porch delivery from our good friend Lynn, THANK YOU!  She bakes the best shortbread.  A weakness of mine, I usually hide the bag so I don't have to share them!  She is also a wonderful seamstress and she made us a few masks, Linda claimed two and I am using the one with cats.  During this time the kindness of others is so important.  Ask yourself... have I done an act of kindness in the past week??  If not, do something nice for someone.  It means a lot.

No comments: