Sunday, January 27, 2008

Original Watercolor





















(click image to enlarge)

I wanted to bring you up to date on my painting.
The paper size is 12"x 18". You can see how my
paper is taped to my board. I do not soak my paper
as some artist do. I took a full day on the composition
drawing. Remember on 1/7 I painted a part of this as
a study of the railing and one pot. On Friday I painted
the three geraniums to study the effects of light on the
pots. So I was prepped for the large drawing with a clear
idea in my head. The top photo is the first days
underpainting or washes. On the door is a mixture of
Cad Yellow and Yellow Ochre. I feel this underpainting
gives me the depth and richness I look for. Each layer is
thoroughly dried before adding another wash. The bottom
photo is today's work. The door is getting a darker green.
Notice the white paper is showing around the door panels.
These will get washed in next, I need to save this area
because it will be a lighter value. In an oil painting you
paint color over top of color. In watercolor you go from
dark to light by saving the lighter areas. Also notice the
iron railing is darker. You are looking at three full days
work. Not all watercolorists paint in this manner. I am
known to build my color through washes, but not using
lots and lots of water. I prefer to control my color.
Hope this helps you understand my work a little better.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Parsons said...

very nice- what lb. paper do you use? (just wondering about the no-stretching you mentioned).

I enjoy reading your posts and seeing your work- and I love this showing the progress of a painting and explaining it- thanks for taking the time to do that!
Elizabeth

Andy Smith, artist ~ watercolors said...

Good morning Elizabeth, thanks for the comment. I will address the paper question in tonights blog! Andy