Thursday, April 15, 2021

2021 Still Life #12

 

SOLD!   $135 (unframed)  4X6" original
Available to the 1st person to email
(framing $35 - shipping available at cost)
If unsold by 4/17 the price goes to $225

Shaking it up today, I went with a still life.  This great old crock is from the collection of our friends Ron and Carol.   Yes, when I visit friends I take photos to paint!

Question for the day: Why did you pick watercolor over other mediums?  There are actually three reasons for my settling on watercolors. 

#1  When I decided to actually be an artist I had no money.  Watercolor was the least expensive , least messy and most portable of the mediums.
#2  In the "plan" Linda and I started, the thought was to build a clientele with my work.  We felt it would be confusing to see different mediums under one tent out at art shows, like I could not decide who I wanted to be.  Many artists get bored and jump around, I wanted to build a reputation.
#3  I had painted in all the mediums and 
I found the other mediums were pretty easy for me.  Not a big challenge.  If you made a mistake you could just paint over it. But with watercolor you need to plan, think ahead, learn to mix color, understand how washes of color work together.  It was a challenge I needed to keep interested.  I had a love hate relationship for years, now its just love!