Thursday, October 21, 2010

I know, I know...
It has been a while since I wrote a blog.
I am painting, just not small daily paintings.
I decided to show you a demonstration.
Feel free to ask questions.

First, I need to let you know I am showing
this weekend.

Crafts in the Meadow
Fall Invitational Craft Show at Tyler State Park
Bucks County. Use the entrance on
Newtown-Richboro Rd (Rt 322) in Richboro, PA
Fri. & Sat 10-6 and Sun 10-5
There is a discount card at their website.


Now, my demo...

Step 1: I always do a little sketch in my sketch book.
Always! This helps me plot out the perspective, the
light and dark areas, work out any problems.
This is for my enjoyment only.












Step 2: I use 300 lb Arches paper, cut to the size
I want to work in. This is going in a 14"x18" frame.
Next I draw it - by hand. I do not use any
computer generated drawing. I love to draw.
I think it makes a more intimate painting.
I need a drawing to know where I am going
with my paint.













Step 3:
I start with my first washes.
I used Paynes Grey with a touch of
Pthalo Blue on the moulding and door.
Every wash
is dried
thoroughly
with
a hair
dryer.









Step 4: The floor
I used Yellow Ochre, Cad. Yellow
and a touch of Perm. Rose in a thin wash
over the whole floor. Saving the sun spot.
Dried it. Next, I went back over with a bit
darker color to make the wood grain
and texture. Drying often.
More later!

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Have been enjoying your blog for a long time. This is great to see your painting in steps. Looking forward to the rest.

Michael said...

Excellent! : )