Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Portrait #3

5" x 5" original watercolor
SOLD

The study of character is what moves me
in portraits. A face with a story; her expression
and piercing gaze, the wonderfully dark hues in
her skin. I must thank a dear friend and prayer
partner for the use of his photos. He travels
to Liberia as a missionary and I am honored that
he allows me to interpret his scenes.

I rarely take time to work on portraits and I simply
felt like one today. I hope you find your own story in
her face. I took my 85 year old mother to the polls
today to vote. Linda and I reflected on the deep meaning
of this event. My mother grew up under oppressive times
for blacks, her freedoms were hard won. She takes the
freedom to vote very seriously, and she was so very
excited to be able to support an African American man
running for president. A freedom she never thought she
would see in her lifetime. I was equally proud to be able
to be by her side today.

1 comment:

Dar Presto said...

Wow, this is magnificent! Truly magnificent.
It is an exciting time in history. It is edifying to read your thoughts.