Thursday, August 15, 2024

Mount Gretna Set up...

Mount Gretna Art Show; I have been exhibiting at this show since 1981!  Yes, 43 years.  Most of those years I had a double booth in the same location.   2019 I downsized to one space..

Ever wonder what goes into a show?
  By the time you see me I am sitting in my chair all relaxed without a care in the world!  BUT what you did not see is the hours of work before that.  Because I am local I was allowed an early set up.  I set up on Thursday and most artist come in on Friday making it a parking nightmare! This is one of my harder shows to set up.  You must dolly everything in, taking pretty much stamina!  Cart after cart must be unloaded from the van and pushed uphill to my space.  #210  




Once everything is piled next to my space I remove all the sticks and layout my rug.  This gets nails around to hold it down so you do not trip.


Now to get the tent together.  Its a bit like camping.  Poles go together then the top gets dragged on.


While its lower, I tighten the top, get my sign on, straps for the weights, put on 2 sets of awnings and zipper on the side tarps.



Then with a little muscle we raise it up.

Set up the panels, zip tie them together, add the covers, add the upper panels and fasten them to the tent frame.  All this makes one unit, better if there is wind. But if lots of wind I lose everything!


Add some stakes and 50 pound weights to each corner.

Because the show is not till Saturday we are not hanging any paintings.  Linda and I now have 4 hours into the set up.  Our treat for all this work is ice cream! 

Add to all this is the extra stress of possible bad weather...again.  Yes we have a good tent, but eventually there are drips from the zippers.  Watercolors will wrinkle in humidity and if it blows...  So do we take extra stock incase its a great show or downsize incase of rain.  Plus our van is parked a mile away! And as it has in the past, if it rains hard we get a stream of red mud through the tent!  This is not a lifestyle for the faint of heart!  But...I love it!
See you on Saturday, rain or shine.  Wear your wellies a bring an umbrella!


No comments: