Thursday, July 30, 2009

Carcassonne, France ~ Rooftops

6"x4" Original Watercolor
SOLD

I decided I wanted a change and a
challenge today. The rooftops of the
villages have been speaking to me;
with their rusty colored clay tiles creating
a mosaic like pattern across the landscape.
This view is out of a stone window from
high up in a tower in the walled city of
Carcassonne, France.

I am not usually a "cityscape" painter so
this painting took me about 10 hours
today. Starting with a strong drawing
which required really studying all the angles
of the buildings. Thinking about the perspective
of looking out over the roofline making sure
it did not just run all together. I enjoyed
the challenge. I thought my style would become
a bit looser since I am painting subjects a
little different than usual but I just can't,
for me it is all in the understated detail of realism.

No comments: