Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Still Life Study

6"x 4" original watercolor
SOLD

I am studying vantage points, how
items look when you are above looking
down on them. Angles and shapes
change. This would look totally different
if I had bent down and looked up...


I am going to try to juggle two paintings
at once. I started a large painting that will
serve as a painting lesson. If you have
followed my blog I did this back in Sept. 2008.
I start my paintings the same way every time.
Step 1 Study my subject. This was done by
painting study pieces of parts of my subject
as my blog painting on 2/4 and 2/5.
Step 2 Paper prep... I use Arches 300lb cold
paper which I measure to the size I want and
add a 1" extra border which I line out. Then I
take a heavy piece of cardboard or foamboard
and I use masking tape to tape down my
watercolor paper.
Step 3 My drawing... this is what I am showing
you today. Drawn freehand, this is my guide.
It may look simple but I spent 2-3 solid hours
on this drawing.

No comments: